It is not always easy to choose the right car to rent, especially since car rental companies do not have a single way of cataloging cars, and therefore a car can fall into different categories depending on the country in which it is rented.
So choosing the right car for your trip can be very complex, especially when you want to save money. In addition, it is mandatory to check which are the best and worst car rental companies uk.
So let’s try to highlight the parameters that companies generally rely on to include a car in a certain category.
When you rent a car online, you usually can’t choose the exact model, but only the car category and guaranteed features, ie the ones you need, such as:
- number of passengers;
- trunk capacity;
- several doors.
Then the rented car may be exactly the one chosen during the booking, but this is not necessarily the case. In addition, you can choose to consult reviews on car services. It can also happen, once seated, that you can explicitly request a certain car, if it is part of the same group and if it is available.
Car rental: choose according to the size of your luggage
When looking for a rental car on a storage car, the maximum luggage capacity and therefore the number of large and small suitcases you can hold, as well as the number of passengers, is always indicated. Conventionally, by large suitcase, we mean the “hold” suitcase for flights (approximately 78 x 53 x 34 cm). Small luggage, on the other hand, is considered hand luggage (approximately 52 x 35 x 24 cm).
Let’s look at the categories of rental cars and car deposit:
- mini, for city trips for one or two people, maximum 4 passengers, 2 small luggage;
- economy, short trips in the city, 4 passengers, one big and one small;
- compact, for one-week trips, 3 adults and 2 children, one big and one small;
- intermediate, for medium trips, 4 adults and 1 child, 2 large suitcases and one small one;
- standard, and for medium-term travel, these are generally more comfortable cars, 5 adults, 2 large suitcases, and one small one;
- full-size, for longer trips, comfort and high-level performance, 5 adults, 2 large and 2 small suitcases;
- passenger transport, some cars have 9, 7 or 5 + 2 seats. 4 large suitcases are ideal for large groups or families;
- SUVs, for long journeys, are very comfortable if you carry a lot of luggage and you have to travel comfortably and enjoy high performance, even on rough roads. Passengers: 5 adults; 2 large suitcases;
- luxury, are the luxury cars, for those who do not want to give up cars that have style and that offer high performance even on vacation. 5 adults, 2 large suitcases, and 3 small suitcases;
- convertibles, cars that fall into different categories. Depending on the country where the car in this category is rented, there may be small cars with 2 seats (eg Fiat 500 convertible) or large and pure luxury cars (eg BMW 2 Series convertible). 4 adults and two large suitcases.
Use a car rental comparator
If you choose to rent a car yourself without relying on an agency or a travel consultant, use a car rental comparator to compare all the options found on the web. This will help you unravel the many variables to evaluate when choosing a car and find the most convenient offer.
Choose the car that best suits you and your vacation
I have often seen people who chose the wrong car, usually to save some money, but when traveling, it is important to choose the right car. Evaluate the spaces. How many will you travel by car? Will you have 2 or 4? If you are traveling in 4, you must take into account not only your comfort during the trip but also the space for suitcases, making sure that everything fits comfortably in the trunk.
Insurance and deductible
Renting a car usually already includes the liability insurance policy and Kasko, but you need to pay attention to the French. France is the amount that remains to be paid by the driver in case of damage or theft of the car. When booking a rental car, always evaluate the amount of the surplus. Usually, it can be reduced, or even canceled, by paying a surcharge.